Small Fry Skinny Jeans Revisited

Fabulous girl's red skinny jeans! | Small Fry Skinny Jeans sewn by The Inspired Wren

Since I made the first pair of Small Fry Skinny Jeans last year, I have been itching to make another pair. I finally found the perfect project for them and I can't wait to share it with you *squee!*...


...but that will have to wait until Monday. It's so hard for me not to share all that I've made the very second it's complete. But I must. So for today, let's just focus on the jeans. The fabulous, red, skinny jeans!

Fabulous girl's red skinny jeans with mock front pockets! | Small Fry Skinny Jeans sewn by The Inspired Wren

This pattern still rocks my world! The final product is custom and unique, tailored to fit, and yet does not look at all handmade. Unless of course you completely forget to adjust the tension on your machine and can't figure out why the top stitching is giving you so much trouble this time when last time it was a breeze. And then you remember the tension when there are exactly two seams left to sew and you've already struggled past all the decorative top-stitching. Or so I would imagine that could happen to ...someone. Learn from my mistake: when top-stitching on denim with denim thread through a denim needle, adjust the tension!

Mock front pockets on Small Fry Skinny Jeans | Sewn by The Inspired Wren

This time round I made one alteration to the pattern as written. The front pockets seen here are not really here. I left off the pocket bags and the pocket opening is stitched closed The little coin pocket is still an actual pocket but there are no front pockets despite what the stitching may tell you. The Peanut never uses pockets and the pocket bags on the previous pair of skinny jeans tend to pop out and I find myself tucking them back in for her. My own favorite pair of store-bought jeans have false front pockets -- lovely for reducing bulk across one's front, frustrating when you're looking for a place to put your keys for a second. The Peanut doesn't exactly have "bulk" across her front, but she also doesn't carry any keys, so I went for the mock pockets. The back pockets are there if she randomly has need of one.

As for the shirt? You'll have to come back on Monday to learn more about it!

Love the hidden waistband detail on these Small Fry Skinny Jeans | The Inspired Wren
So much gathering across the back to hold them up on my skinny-mini. Note the waistband facing -- love that hidden detail!

Pattern

Small Fry Skinny Jeans from Titchy Threads, Size 5

Fabric

Fashion Bottomweights, 7 oz Stretch Denim in Solid Red, Joann Fabric
Waistband Facing: Elizabeth Olwen Quilt Fabric, Retro Morocco Spider Floral, Joann Fabric

Notes

Did I mention the tension? I very rarely find I need to adjust the tension. But for denim thread on denim through a denim needle one really should. And then remember to adjust it back.

Love

This pattern. Have I mentioned how much I love this pattern?! Seriously.


Fabulous girl's red skinny jeans with mock front pockets! | Small Fry Skinny Jeans sewn by The Inspired Wren
Once again the jeans are baggy in width and just right in length. I predict she'll outgrow them in height before they fully fit her hips. 



Ren Murphy writes for The Inspired Wren.

___________________________________________________
   
You should really see all that goes into each project!
From my marathon sewing sessions, to all that I do when I #shouldhavebeensewing catch daily updates on Instagram (and Flickr) of works-in-progress. Get that behind the scenes view you’re looking for, and sneak peeks of upcoming tutorials, too.
___________________________________________________

The Inspired Wren is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.