The Project Run & Play Bubble

The January Challenge for Project Run & Play 2015: Flannel and knit tee-shirt dress with infinity scarf | The Inspired Wren

[Runs in, throws arms up in the air...] WAIT! I'm here! Don't let January slip away yet! My small Holiday blogging break that I hoped would be barely noticeable kinda grew into a large, obvious break thanks to inertia: a body in motion stays in motion, and this body at rest will definitely STAY at rest unless external forces act upon it. As always the best external force to push me into action is a good challenge. I present to you: Project Run & Play, January


The January Challenge for Project Run & Play 2015: Flannel and knit tee-shirt dress with infinity scarf | The Inspired Wren

I tend to create some of my best and favorite projects within very confined parameters. The more limits you set on it, the more I can problem-solve and play. Bring it.

The January challenge for Project Run & Play is The Bubble Dress Tutorial from Alida Makes. My solution combines three things I've never tackled in sewing before: the bubble silhouette, the tee-shirt dress, and the paper-bag waist. I wanted to add a large cowl collar to balance the proportions, but anything near this model's mouth inevitably still ends up in this model's mouth. Since I always aim for true wearability/usability, I opted for a removable infinity scarf instead.

The January Challenge for Project Run & Play 2015: Flannel and knit tee-shirt dress with infinity scarf | The Inspired Wren
Tee-shirt dress with a high paper-bag waist and removable infinity scarf.

The January Challenge for Project Run & Play 2015: Flannel and knit tee-shirt dress details | The Inspired Wren
Dress details: tab at the neckline; twin-needle hem at the wrist; bubble hem at the knee

The Bubble Dress tutorial is my kind of tutorial; it's the kind that encases all the seams and leaves a lovely finish inside and out. I cut the sides to angle-in at the waist and switched out the shirring along the bottom for narrow elastic but otherwise completed the skirt following the tutorial's directions. Then I stitched up a Flashback Skinny Tee with a call-back to the skirt in the form of a simple tab at the neckline in the skirt's flannel fabric. I joined the tee and the skirt at a high-waist point and stitched them together with a zig-zag along both stitched lines of the elastic casing. 

Inside-out | The January Challenge for Project Run & Play 2015: Flannel and knit tee-shirt dress | The Inspired Wren
The dress innards in all their non-scratchy glory.

The January Challenge for Project Run & Play 2015: Flannel and knit tee-shirt dress | The Inspired Wren
There's that simple neckline with the flannel tag.


Project Run & Play is one of the reasons I began blogging. I wanted to play along and show off my solutions. This year's new format (monthly challenges) is great for me! I plan on sewing for each challenge, creating a 2015 Collection as I go. Of course I can't predict shape and line of the yet-to-be-announced tutorials, so I'll attempt to tie the collection together through color, fabric, and proportion. I'll be collecting all those looks in one place, you'll find them up on the menu bar under the Collections 2015 tab. 

The Peanut happily tap-danced all over my new seamless background and still managed to negotiate for a higher rate of pay (ice cream instead of chocolate for this shoot).

Pattern

Bodice: Flashback Skinny Tee by Rae Hoekstra, size 4T with modifications
Skirt: The Bubble Dress Tutorial from Alida Makes with modifications 
Scarf: Self-Drafted (actually, Made-Up-As-I-Went-with-No-Planning)

Fabric

Bodice: Sew Classic Knits Interlock, Black (Joann's Fabric)
Skirt & Scarf: Blue Houndstooth Flannel labeled simply "Brushed Plaid" (Walmart)
Skirt Lining: Symphony Broadcloth Solid Quilt Fabric, Black (Joann's Fabric)

Note

I angled the side-seams in by 2" on each side when cutting the skirt -- this gives a slightly different silhouette than the original tutorial.

Love

I struggled to make it look high-end (as opposed to home-made), but I think I found the look I was going for. To my eye the balance of proportions between the bubble and the scarf elevate it. I'm also happy I was able to work with my own love of dark neutrals and yet excite The Peanut with her favorite blue in a stylish houndstooth. I gave her the choice between purple and corral tights and she picked the corral. Once again her choice makes the look -- I'm always a sucker for a bright, popping accent color!


Ren Murphy writes for The Inspired Wren.

___________________________________________________
   
You should really see all that goes into each project!
From my marathon sewing sessions, to all that I do when I #shouldhavebeensewing, catch daily updates on Instagram (and Flickr) of works-in-progress. Get that behind the scenes view you’re looking for, and sneak peeks of First Tuesday Tutorials, too.
___________________________________________________

The Inspired Wren is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.