Kids Clothes Week: Day 1

It Kids Clothes Week! In honor of KCW, and for just this week only, I will attempt to blog daily and document all sewing [through mostly cell-phone pics]. 

Sew clothes for your kids. One hour a day. Each day for seven days. 

kid's clothes week

Today I was able to sew for about an hour and half. I am still sewing along with Project Run and Play, and I'm still running a couple of days off schedule (thanks to a couple of sick and snow days between Weeks 1 & 2). This means I'm still sewing for Week 3.



The Peanut came over to watch me stitch this morning. Typically she only comes over to watch bobbins winding. My sewing space is in our family room and the machine sits on the divide between her playroom space and the "No Zone" of my sewing space. 

Briefly documenting Kids Clothes Week, Day 1. | The Inspired Wren
A rare moment of meeting with each of us on either side of the divide.

I first tackled the dreaded button-holes.

Briefly documenting Kids Clothes Week, Day 1. | The Inspired Wren
My least favorite moment of construction -- I'm always fearful I'll create a button-hole so horrible I'd have to scrap the entire piece. 

I even took the time to change to white thread for the upper button-hole, and then erased the water-soluble marker.

Briefly documenting Kids Clothes Week, Day 1. | The Inspired Wren
Still wet, but done.

I swapped out the called-for-band-plus-ties for ribbon and finished constructing the bodice -- still not sure if that will work for this pattern.

Briefly documenting Kids Clothes Week, Day 1. | The Inspired Wren
Love the look of the shine next to the texture of the linen.

And then I prepped the bodice for the next step.

Briefly documenting Kids Clothes Week, Day 1. | The Inspired Wren
I easily spend more time on prep work between steps than on stitching.

I had just enough time to trim the sides of the skirt panels, sew the seams, and press the prettily pinked seam-allowances.

Briefly documenting Kids Clothes Week, Day 1. | The Inspired Wren
They'll probably never look this neat again.

Tomorrow's goal is to complete the outfit so that it can be photographed in the late afternoon. I'm hopeful but not making promises (to myself or to you).



There's still time to add to the inaugural Inspire Us Thursdays link party. Don't miss out!

Inspire Us Thursdays: Sew Needle Stitch Hook  -- A new link party on The Inspired Wren




___________________________________________________
   
You should really see all that goes into each project!
From my model preferring to wear washi tape on her belly button instead of the clothes I've sewn for her, to the ingenious way that I’ve re-purposed my favorite sewing tool, a chopstick, into a spool pin for double needle sewing on my machine. Daily updates on Instagram (and Flickr) of works-in-progress will give you that behind the scenes view you’re looking for, and sneak peeks of First Tuesday Tutorials, too.
___________________________________________________

The Inspired Wren is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.